Sunday, November 20, 2011

I know, I know, I've been slacking

Hej alle!
I know I am slowly getting slower at putting these blog posts up, but hey at least they are still being put up at all!
and yes I know I promised to put pictures on photobucket, but it takes SO long, but hopefully soon I will find enough motivation to do that.

Now time for what everyone actually comes here for! To see what I have been doing! At least I think that's why you guys read this?
So in my last blog I left you around November 4th. As I mentioned I had a Rotary get together in Holbæk, which is a town on Sjælland.
It was for all of the exchange students, newbies and oldies. In case you aren't familiar with all this exchange student lingo, I am a newbie and the people who came in December/January of last year are oldies since they will be leaving in December/January of this year. We hadn't met most of the oldies, so it was fun to meet some new people, but I also feel like we all already had our groups of friends and people to talk to, so I didn't meet as many oldies as I would have liked, but hey at least I met a few cool Australians, Brazilians, a South African, and New Zealanders.
Friday (nov. 4th) Alicia and I took the train together from Odense, but the train was pretty late because of some issue, so we missed our 2nd train, but that was fine because we met up with some other exchangies in the Roskilde train station and had another train like 20 minutes later that we could take. On this 2nd train there were a bunch of Brazilians and other South Americans, and one poor American left in all the craziness of Spanish and Portuguese. We all also kind of dominated the sitting area with our bags and things, but no one seemed to mind and they were all a bit interested in us since they kept looking at us.
Then we arrived in Holbæk and there were LOTS more exchange students there waiting to get on the bus to take us to the school we would be staying at. We took a city bus and in total there were only 2 Danish people on the whole bus, the driver and the Rotex helping us. Then we got to the school and had to wait in a not so organized line to get signed in and it took awhile because people kept distracting the person signing us in.
It was nice that at this weekend we could choose where to sleep. There were I think maybe 6 or so rooms and you could just put your stuff in any of them.
That night we just ate pizza, had a disco, and talked with each other since most of us hadn't seen each other since Intro Camp. I think I got to sleep around 3:30 that night.

The next day we had breakfast of what else, but Bread as it seems we always eat a lot of at Rotary events. Then we had a couple hours to explore Holbæk on our own, which was pretty fun. I went off with Kirsten (from Canada), Marisa (from USA) and we went shopping a bit, then walked by the water and took pictures and then through a park, where I made them take lots of pictures of me, and them since I was the only one not used to a "real" fall where the leaves all change colors.




Then we came back and had lunch. Then it was time for activities. There was pumpkin carving on the schedule along with some sports, but since Simran (India) had never carved a pumpkin we all wanted to do that, but we later learned the people who had promised us the pumpkins couldn't deliver them anymore for some reason, so we just watched the soccer game for a bit and then went inside since it was so cold.

That night we had a Halloween party and my costume was a California girl. And no I didn't just wear my regular clothes and say I was that, I wore a California t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, the California flag as a cape, and sunglasses to compete the look.
We had a dinner that night and it was fun with everyone dressed up, with some being more creative than others. Rotary was there for dinner and our show. People that wanted to had signed up for different acts for our entertainment. A bunch of us from the US were going to sing Party in the USA, but then people slowly started backing out and we never really practiced, so we just decided not to do it. The rest of the performances were singing, a dance battle between Latinos and Brazilians (that was really fun and funny), an Australian dance, a slideshow for the oldies since they will be leaving soon, and some more. They also had a battle of the countries in singing our national anthem as fast as we could and as much as we could in 30 seconds. Let's just say America did not do so well.  It's hard to sing it to a different tune and really fast when most of us barely know all the words to it, but it was still hilarious.



Then we had another disco that night and could just hang out and talk also.  I did a mix of both, but somehow I ended up at 5:30 still talking with 4 other exchange students, then I realized I really should get some sleep, so we all went and passed out. People kind of just slept wherever they wanted, so there were people all over couches and the ground and in the hallways, pretty much anywhere you could find a semi comfortable spot.

Sunday we were woken up and had to pack all our stuff before we got breakfast. Then there was a few goodbye songs for the oldies and it was pretty sad watching them all and realizing that would be us in some months. It's really scary how fast the time is going and I don't really like to think how many months I have been here or how many I have left.

Sunday I came home and just relaxed and then Monday I got to stay home from school because my host parents couldn't really drive me there or pick me up, so that was nice to get some extra sleep after only have 8 for the whole weekend.
All of the exchange students


Tuesday and Thursday I am kind of having trouble remembering what I did, but I don't think there was anything too special.
Wednesday was a day called Operation Dagsværk, where we had the day off from school and if you wanted you could raise money for building schools ( I think) in Peru. I went to Odense for the day with 4 girls from my class and we sold cake. In total we made over $100 US dollars on just selling the cake for 90 cents each piece. It was a nice day and I liked being able to bond a bit more with people from my class. Then after that I went to a girl's house who is in my class and we watched a movie and I talked to her parent's a bit in Danish. Then we went to another girl in my class's house to have dinner with 7 other people from my class. It was really tasty and a nice end to a good day.

I found this sign- apparently California has special chicken

The dinner with some kids from my class


Friday we had a Gymnasium Party that night, so I got ready at my house and then went to a girl in my class's house for the pre-party. The gym party was all right, but there was some Danish rappers that weren't very good especially since I couldn't understand them. Then Alicia came home to my house for the weekend.
Saturday we woke up nice and late and then went shopping Odense with another exchange student from our school, Katharina from Germany. It was nice and I bought a couple of things, but we kinda forgot that stores close around 3 or 4 on Saturdays, so we had to finish earlier than we planned. It's so weird having Saturday be a short shopping day where back home that's one of the bigger shopping days. We ate at McDonald's because Alicia wanted it and it's cheap, but she had fun saying the American (me) was in her natural habitat and finally at home.


That night we ate dinner with my family and then watched movies and ate junk food.
Sunday we made an American breakfast for my family, consisting of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon. It turned out pretty well and I have now made pancakes twice in my life all on my own!
Then we spent the rest of Sunday being lazy and taking pictures outside again because of the beautiful fall leaves and my obsession with them.

Monday nothing really happened.
Tuesday one of the exchange students I had become friends with was sent home, which was a sad day for all of the exchange students and we tried to support him the best we could.

Wednesday: Alicia and I were supposed to go see Twilight: Breaking Dawn with the boy who got sent home, but since we had already bought our tickets we still went. Before that though Alica, Nora (from Austria), and I went to Alicia's house to get her things for the movie and somehow we just ended up lying on the floor in her laundry room because the floor was warm and heated and we were freezing from our walk home. Then we went to a restaurant called Asia with Gustavo (from Brazil) since he is going home in December since he's been here since January. Also, I kinda made them go since I was really wanting Chinese/Japanese food. It was pretty good and definitely filled my craving for Asian food for awhile.
Then Alicia and I went to the movie. It was in English with Danish subtitles and at one point the subtitles said "hjem i fart" or something like that which really just has to do with home and speed, but Alicia and I had both been reading the subtitles at the point and started laughing because to us it was funny, but of course no one else found that phrase funny.

Thursday my Mormor (host -mother's mom) picked me up from the bus station and we went to her house and had tea and bread which she had made. It was really good! And then we went to her friend's shop where he fixes clocks and it was actually pretty cool seeing all of those really old clocks. Some were around 300 years old and one even had it's original paint. Then I saw the daycare where my Mormor works sometimes and it was pretty much the same as an American daycare, but it was nice to see. Then I went home and had the usual Thursday night pizza with my family.





Friday I deleted my English essay by accident, so I had to rewrite it all since it was due that night. That was not so fun, because then I got writer's block on what to write about since I couldn't remember my other one very much. Then I watched most of the 2nd part of the last Harry Potter movie with my family. Yes, Katie I actually watched Harry Potter. I didn't really know what was happening though because I haven't seen most of them.


Saturday I slept kinda late since I was really tired. Then later that day my host mom and I started on Thanksgiving dinner. We made the cranberry sauce and pumpkin (butternut squash instead- we couldn't find pumpkin) pie. Then my host mom made some caramels, which tasted really good!
That night we watched the last episode of Bingo Banko for this season and then 2 movies. I was kinda proud of myself for staying up to 12:30 since I usually go to bed fairly early here, but it may be because I had slept until 11:15....

Sunday I woke up at a bit more of a reasonable time and had breakfast with my family. Then I just kinda hung our for the day until it was time to start making Thanksgiving dinner. I made the stuffing and then my host mom made the mashed potatoes, turkey, green beans, and gravy. I invited 3 girls from my class to come celebrate with us. It was a very nice, hyggeligt night and all the food tasted almost as it should! The pie was a bit thinner than usual, but it was fine still and I'm pretty proud of making a butternut squash pie all the way from scratch, since they don't sell cans of filling here. Before dinner started I had everyone say what they were thankful for, which was nice and heartwarming haha. Overall it was a good night and I'm glad I got to have Thanksgiving in Denmark (even if it was a few days early). And to all you people from my Thanksgiving back home who may or may not be reading this: I wore my 25th Annual shirt in the spirit of Thanksgiving! And I hope Thanksgiving is good for everyone this year!!






Now highlights from this last week:
Monday I brought more pumpkin pie into class to share with my class and most seemed to like it!

Thursday I went to downtown Middelfart after school and finally got my NEM ID, which means I can finally get my bus card, which gives me free train rides on Fyn also! Then I went home and watched some of the Macy's Day parade online, which was really nice. That night I skyped with my mom and dad and sister and it was nice to see and talk to them for a while since I have only skyped with them each once since I have been here.

Friday we had gym class and we are working on making dances in groups to perform in a few weeks to our class. The group all the exchange students were put in (Alicia, Paulina, and I), is doing African dancing, which should be interesting to do in front of 2 classes. Then that night I watched a Christmas movie with my family and started packing since I move on Sunday.

Saturday: Today I woke up at 5:45 to skype with my whole family that was at my parent's house and it was nice and kinda funny to see them all trying to skype! Then I went back to sleep because in my opinion there is not much of a reason to be up that early on a Saturday. Then today I finished packing and took some pictures of Morud before I move tomorrow.




To end this post I want to put what I'm thankful for: I'm so thankful for all of the wonderful people I have met so far, and the wonderful experiences I have had. I am thankful for my family and friends back home who have supported me through this and encouraged me to go on exchange! I will see you all before I know it! All in all I am thankful for where I am right now.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! ( a few days late)

Farvel for nu,
Nina

(and if you want to see the pictures bigger just click on them!)



No comments:

Post a Comment