Sunday, September 11, 2011

Soccer, Shopping, and Sleep! (plus a bit more)

Hej!
So it's time for my weekly update and it feels like just last week I was writing one of these.... oh wait I was, but it still feels like the week went by so fast!
Sunday: Rest/ and sleep to recover from the long week at intro camp!
Monday: School- I actually could understand a bit more in each of my classes, which felt great! Every little bit counts even if I only understand 1 or 2 more words a day it is better than none! And I could even do what we were doing in math today! It was the quadratic formula, which we learn in 8th or 9th grade in the U.S., so it felt nice to finally be able to actually do something and succeed in it haha.
Tuesday: School, then soccer. It was only my second practice, but I am enjoying the team and it's pretty fun even though I am not that great.
Wednesday: School as usual, then I got to leave early since I had language classes! I now have language classes every Wednesday and Thursday, which is great because those were always my longest days at school! I walked there with Alica (from Canada) and Gustavo (from Brazil) and we made it just in time for the start of class since there was a bit of confusion about who was leading the way; me or Gustavo. The teacher, Lorea, seems really nice and she understands that we have lives and other homework than just her class, which is always a nice thing to hear since sometimes it seems as though teacher's forget that! There are 7 of us in the class: Me, Alicia, Gustavo, Katharina (from Germany), Nora (from Austria), Nok Nahm (from Thailand), and Agne (from Lithuania).
For dinner I had McDonalds with my host dad, Niels, and brother, Chris, since my host mom wasn't going to be home from work until late. You may think McDonalds must be the same no matter where you go, but this one at least is slightly different. First of all you have to pay for your ketchup/ Mayonnaise salat as I have learned you have to do at all fast food restaurants. Second of all the food is just generally more expensive. For example a Big Mac costs around $3.50 or so in the U.S., in Denmark it costs almost $10 (no, I don't know this off the top of my head, I had to look it up haha). Another is the mayonnaise salat, yes you read that right. They have mayonnaise dressing packets for people to dip their fries in, which is pretty common here.  Well those are really the only differences, but it's little things like this, that you notice when in another country.
Thursday: Again I had language school, it was especially nice because I got to miss Social Science class, which the teacher and I have agreed I understand nothing in!
Language class was again good, and I feel like I learn a little bit more each day. Also, this may sound weird, but it's nice to have homework that I can actually do! Before I was really only doing my Spanish, English, and geography homework unless a teacher told me otherwise. I also now have more people to take the bus home with on Wednesdays and Thursdays since Nok Nahm and Katharina also take the same bus as me.
When Niels brought me home from the bus station the second we got out of the car, the craziest hail storm I have ever seen started! It came down for probably 2 or 3 minutes and the hail was the size of a tic tac almost! After the hail ended everything was covered in the hail and it almost looked like it had  snowed!



Then it was time for pizza night Thursday since my host mom works later on Thursdays it is just easier to have pizza, which is fine with me!

Friday: For the last 2 classes of the day at school it was an assembly to hear some politicians from Fyn representing parties for the upcoming elections. It was somewhat interesting at the beginning since we got to send a text to "vote' for which politician we wanted to win, but as the politicians talked faster and more complicated I got bored and just sat there playing on a girl in my class's iphone, since I wasn't understanding anything.
Then after that 2 girls from my class (Sofie and Mathilde) and I took the train to Odense (Denmark's third biggest city) and went shopping! There was another boy on the train from our class with one of his friends, and once we were in Odense the 5 of us ran into each other a few times, so Sofie, Mathilde, and I of course had to have them take pictures of us!
We went to lots of stores and spent lots of money, but since it was my first shopping trip in Denmark, I justify it since I needed  some "Danish" clothes. We shopped until all the stores closed (at around 7) and then had dinner at a fast food style place called Sunset Boulezard, which has supposedly healthier fast food with sandwiches and things like that on the menu. It was pretty good and saved me some money compared to eating in a restaurant, which is crazy expensive here!

Then Jytte came and picked me up and I went home and we just spent the night watching Legally Blonde 2 until I fell asleep on the couch.
Saturday: This morning I had no problem waking up somewhat early, because we were going to LEGOLAND!! This was probably one of the things on the top of my list of places to go/see in Denmark and I am so happy I got to go with Jytte and Chris. We arrived a little before it opened and compared to my recent trip to Disneyland before I left, the line was small, but in Denmark it was considered somewhat busy. We raced right away to the more popular rides, so as to avoid the lines later in the day. We went on almost all the rides it feels like and never had to wait more than 10 minutes in a line, which was great! After our first ride when we were looking at our pictures from the ride, one of the workers asked where we were from and when he found out I was from California he told me how he had just been there and the "Legoland in California sucks!", which is probably true after seeing this one! My favorite ride would have to be the Power Builder. It is a ride where you create your own experience. You are given a sim card and then you proceed to choose what you want your ride to do; ex: flip upside down then left, or spin around, etc. I rode with Jytte and we just laughed the whole way.
We also went to see a 4-D movie, which was cute and the snow and wind effects were fun. In my opinion one of the coolest parts of Legoland are the miniature towns and sculptures made only of legos. It was amazing to see all these small buildings composed of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of legos. The time and effort that must have gone into these was impossible to imagine! I had a lot of fun in Legoland and am glad I got to go, so early on in my trip, so that I can maybe even go again. We got free tickets to use in October, so who knows we may go again!
We spent the evening watching some movies on tv. One was only in Danish, with no subtitles, but I could still figure out what was going on most of the time! :)

Well there was my week!
Farvel for nu!
Nina






No comments:

Post a Comment